Friday, May 04, 2007

Ack!

I had my 20 week OB visit today. While I have a tough time getting pregnant, I seem to have incredibly unremarkable pregnancies, other than the GD thing. For me that doesn't strike me as that remarkable; I have PCOS, I'm overweight, and the odds are stacked heavily against me. I manage it, and off we go. I also make sure to order the full sugar Coke with my first post-partum meal.

As I said, unremarkable. Blood pressure is fine, urine looks fine, heartbeat at 142 (from where Dr. Wonderful found it, the stinker is still sitting breach), and I'm measuring right on. That one surprises me, since I feel absolutely huge right now. I need to give myself a pretty stiff reality check on that one, since, well, we have a loooong way to go, and the history of big babies in my family is not on my side. I did manage to lose three pounds, which I attribute to the changes in my diet since I started to notice the diabetic reactions to different foods was wrecking havoc with me. I showed him my sugars, and overall he was happy with them. He's still going to diagnose me with GD, since we know that if I wasn't watching it, I would be blowing them on a regular basis. Keep monitoring things-I need to get better about doing my fasting numbers in the morning. Since I seem to have a pretty good grasp of what does and doesn't work, he doesn't see the need to go back to the dietitian, unless I start to struggle to maintain the numbers that I currently have. I was a little bummed about that, since a refresher would have been nice. I've got to start cleaning out the office anyway, so I hope that I can find my file from last time with the recommended schedule, etc.

The ACK! part of the whole thing is that Dr. Wonderful told me that he is leaving the practice to join his wife's practice in the Smaller Twin City. Apparently, she is also an OB, and they used to practice together. The opportunity has arisen again, and he really thinks that this is a good move for him. How can I begrudge that? To actually WANT to work with a spouse and have it work? Egads. He will maintain office hours in another 'burb close to me, but he wanted to let me know so I wouldn't be surprised later on, especially since I've been a patient for quite a while.

Since I've been going to this practice, and know how they rotate who is on for delivery, I made an effort when I was pregnant with Son to see everyone. However, when I was diagnosed with GD, Dr. Wonderful claimed me as his own, and I saw him pretty much exclusively for the last 10 weeks of my pregnancy. If I had made it to my due date/inducement date, he would have delivered. I also went to him when the PPD threatened to overtake me. Needless to say, I trust this guy. I'm just a little torn as to what to do-to quote the song-"should I stay or should I go?"

Assuming that my insurance covers this new practice, I would be looking at probably having to go the Smaller Twin City for at least some appointments. This probably isn't that big of a deal, but it is an almost 30 minute hike, without traffic, and then back cross-country to get to work. The current practice is on my way to work. My RE was in the Larger Twin City, so it's not like I'm unused to having to make a trip. Dr. Wonderful will still have privileges at the hospital close to home (less than 15 minutes away), but also at all of the Smaller Twin City hospitals. This is where I get a little excited, actually. Only one hospital in the TC (at least that I know of) has a water birth option, or at least a birthing tub to labor in. This is one where Dr. Wonderful would be able to deliver at. The hospital that I delivered Son at had a stand up shower, but it was so dinky that to have two people in it would have been nearly impossible. (My contractions turned out to be such monsters that I couldn't stand through them-and that was before transition and the epidural). Needless to say, having that option open up was interesting. However, in order to get to that hospital, its at least 30 minutes, and that is assuming so-so traffic. If I would have the audacity to need to make my way to the hospital during morning rush hour (7A-9A), it could take much longer.

So, I'm faced with a decision. I suppose that the first hurdle is to check out if the practice is covered under my insurance. If so, then I just have to suck it up and chose. Husband, being the font of support that he is, says that it's completely up to me. Loose translation: "I don't want to talk about it, since it really doesn't matter that much to me and I can't remember who is who anyway." I have my last appointment with Dr. Wonderful on June 1, his last day, when he will give me his schedule. Here's hoping I don't blow it.

No comments: