Monday, December 11, 2006

Like old shoes

I went into the RE today for the dreaded CD3 ultrasound. Yep, still hate the wand. Yuck. At least there wasn't a blood draw involved this time around. Even after having to go through everything last time, my aversion to needles carries on.

The ultrasound tech actually recognized me, and not much has really changed at the office. Well, for some reason the andrology patients go through there too (weird to see guys getting called back) now, but otherwise, not much of a change. I was told that I was the first to get to use the new ultrasound machines that were delivered today. Wahoo! Nice to see some sort of connection to the capital that I gave them. Otherwise, it was almost like it hadn't been two years since I had been there. Two years since I would sit in the parking lot and cry. How little I knew. While I truly want another child, I don't seem to have the same sort of desperation this time around. I can say that now, prior to going through the shots, the progesterone, getting AF right before I am supposed to go and get my beta. If that happens, it happens. I still get to come home to Son tonight, which is a lot better than some of the other women in the waiting room.

Mulling aside, nothing too spectacular on the ultrasound. Even though I have PCO, I don't struggle with having large cysts to manage. I guess that I just have all of the pieces of the syndrome itself which is enough to muck up the works. Regardless, it was good to hear that all was quiet, since I've been having some strange twinges where I think my ovaries are. (Don't laugh, I ovulate so infrequently that I don't know/remember how it feels.)

I was sent off with my laundry list of drugs, an instructional DVD regarding the Gonal-f pen (they didn't have those the last time around, although the needle looks a bit more intimidating than the old ones), and an appointment for Friday morning at 7:15. I have to take it that early in order to make it into work at a decent hour. It's a 30 minute drive on a good day, barring any accidents or snow. Leaving at 6:45 is going to be a stretch, but we've got to do it this way. Things are so much more complicated now that we have Son and I have a boss that is just across the hall from me. My admin is less than happy with me right now, so my chances of her covering for me are pretty slim. Let's just hope that it doesn't take quite as long this time....yea, yea, I know, but let me live in my fantasy for a while, OK??

It took 45 minutes to get my all of my prescriptions filled. I hate having to go to the pharmacy by my clinic, but they are the only pharmacy that can fill everything I need without a couple of days notice. The pharmacy is located between a large hospital and a large children's clinic, so they just tend to have everything. Out in suburbia, I usually get either (1) blank stares when they read Gonal-F ore (2) We don't carry it. Have you tried _____? Yep, sure have. Ugh. I'm going to have to get on the phone to see what my chances are to get things filled closer to home. I'm still not holding my breath.

So, I have a plastic bag full of the fun out in the trunk of the car. Let the games begin.

2 comments:

lucky #2 said...

Gosh, I read your post and thought that will be what I am writing next time I start trying. The realization that if it doesn't work this time, I will survive.

I, too, am PCOS and don't ovulate on my own. I used Gonal - F for mine and I have to say, I love the new pen that they use. It is SO easy!!! There aren't any pharmacies in my area that carry the drugs I need without a few days notice. My RE actually uses a pharmacy 2 hours away and they Fed-Ex it overnight to get to your house. Nice service.

I am glad that all's calm on the ovary front. At least that's one battle you don't have to take on.

Angie said...

I know exactly what you mean about not having that desperate feeling this time around. But like you...easy to say before we've even begun the battle. LOL! And yes, this time we have our sons to go home to and for that I am so thankful. Terrible twos and all. I wish you a very short TTC journey this time around. And as for the needle thing - hang in there. I don't have to worry about needles during the TTC process but if we're lucky enough to conceive I will mostly likely be stabbed daily due to my Zofran pump. Joy of joys. Oh well, they are worth all that and more. Take care!