Monday, August 11, 2008

Living dangerously, PT II

Son, if you haven't already gathered, is an independent, stubborn, opinionated squirt. Part of that is a function of being on the cusp of turning three, the rest is just his basic personality. This child may drive me to drink once I'm done nursing.

So, yesterday we had to make a 90 minute drive north to meet my parents halfway to drop off Son for a week with them. They have been hassling me about it all summer, and I always thought that we would be able to take a long weekend and deal with it that way. It's not that I don't trust my parents with him, but rather that he's a very schedule oriented kid, and since we had such a good thing going on the potty front and elsewhere, I really didn't want to screw that up. However, for a variety of reasons, I relented, so we decided that this would be a good week. My dad was able to take off Monday and Tuesday, Mom has a couple of weeks before school starts again, and the weather should be nice.

OK, yes, I do have a point. We were all packed and ready to go, and were just waiting for Husband to get home from work (yes, stuck working another weekend due to a flakey employee-GRRRR), and I asked him if he would put on a pullup for the drive. There aren't a whole lot of places to stop, and he had just had lunch. He looks at me in all earnestness, and says "no, thank you Mama" and proceeds to walk out of his room to go put on his shoes. Again, me following him down the hall, pausing by the bathroom, "are you sure? It's a long ride..." "No, Mama, I wear underwears." So, reluctantly, I strapped him into the carseat, hoping and praying that the peeing four times before we left had done the trick.

It did! Mom and Dad were going to stop about an hour away on their way back home, so he had a chance there as well. As far as I know, he did it! Oh, to think, a trip to Target that doesn't entail $40 for diapers each trip. The joy, the freedom, the minor return of disposable (no pun intended) income!

No comments: